UV lamp red line vector icon

Mold is a common issue, especially in high-humidity climates. It can be a nuisance and even cause health issues if left untreated. Homeowners may wonder if using a UV (ultraviolet) lamp to kill mold is effective. Let’s look at UV lamps’ efficacy in eliminating mold in your home.

How Do UV Lamps Work?

UV lamps emit ultraviolet light, which can help eliminate germs, bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants. When used correctly, they can help reduce the number of airborne particles that could cause health problems or worsen existing health conditions. However, there are limitations to using UV lamps for mold control.

Limitations of Using UV Lamps for Mold Control

First, it is essential to note that while UV lamps can help reduce the number of airborne particles, they cannot kill mold on surfaces such as walls or ceilings where it has already taken hold.

This is because ultraviolet light does not penetrate deeper than three millimeters into porous materials like wood and drywall, making it ineffective against mold colonies that have already taken root.

Furthermore, according to the EPA, certain types of mold are resistant to ultraviolet radiation or require more intense levels of exposure than most consumer-grade UVC lamps can provide.

This means that while you may still be able to reduce the airborne particles from existing colonies, you won’t necessarily eliminate them by using a UV lamp alone.

Finally, even with advanced UVC lamps that produce higher intensity levels of ultraviolet radiation, there is always the risk of exposing yourself or your family members to these powerful lights, which could have adverse health effects over time.


Using a UV lamp certainly has benefits when it comes to killing germs and reducing airborne particles. Still, unfortunately, they cannot eliminate colonies from surfaces like walls or ceilings where they have already taken hold.

Also, some types of mold are resistant to ultraviolet light or need more intense exposure than most consumer-grade UVC lamps can give. This means that these types of mold can’t be killed with these lamps.

So, using a UV lamp might help reduce the number of mold spores that get into the air from existing colonies, but you shouldn’t count on it as the only way to get rid of all types of mold in your home.

If you have a mold problem in your home, it’s best to talk to a professional. They can tell you the best way to safely get rid of any existing colonies and prevent new ones from growing.

Breathe easy! Protect yourself and your family from dangerous mold-related illnesses with Pure Maintenance of Texas. Our advanced technology makes sure that harmful pathogens are removed and don’t come back, so you can be sure that they won’t be a problem in the future.

Contact us today!