Mildew is something that you might not notice until it gets really bad. Most homeowners often overlook the small amounts of mildew in the shower or tub, but those dark spots can lead to bigger issues.
Mildew can spread quickly through your home if you don’t do anything about it. Even though it does not appear as bad as mold, it can still cause various health problems and expose you and your family to harmful toxins.
But can mildew make you sick?
We’ll look more closely at this danger that’s hiding in your home and talk about what you can do to keep yourself safe.
Mildew is a fungus that grows well in warm, damp places like bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms. Mold can be blue, green, or even black. On the other hand, mildew tends to be white or gray. It grows on things like walls, ceilings, and fabrics; if it isn’t treated right away, it can spread quickly. Some common signs of mildew are a musty smell, discoloration, and a fuzzy feel.
Can mildew make you sick?
Yes, mildew can make you sick, especially if your immune system is compromised or you are allergic to it. Mildew spores in the air can cause a variety of health issues, including breathing difficulties, allergies, and headaches. These symptoms are more common in people with asthma or other lung problems. Mildew exposure can even cause more serious health problems, such as pneumonia or bronchitis in some cases.
What can you do to avoid the growth of mildew?
Reduce the amount of moisture in your home to prevent mildew from growing. This can be done by installing exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen, keeping the windows and doors open to let in more air when the weather is nice, and buying a dehumidifier to eliminate excess moisture in the air. It’s also important to clean up any spills or leaks as soon as they occur and to dry wet areas thoroughly. If you notice mildew symptoms such as discoloration or a musty odor, you should address the issue as soon as possible before it worsens.
What should you do if you suspect your home has mildew?
If you suspect mildew in your home, the first step is to identify the source. This could involve hiring a professional to do a test or inspection. Once you’ve determined where the mildew is growing, you can take steps to eliminate it. Depending on the severity of the problem, you may be able to clean the area yourself using a bleach and water mixture. However, if the problem is more extensive, hiring a professional to handle the cleanup is best.
How can you stay safe when dealing with mildew?
When dealing with mildew, it’s critical to take precautions to protect yourself and your family. Cleaning up mildew means wearing gloves, a face mask, and eye protection. If you use bleach, dilute it properly and avoid mixing it with other cleaning products, which can produce hazardous fumes. It’s also a good idea to consult a healthcare professional if you have any existing health conditions or concerns.
To summarize, mildew may not be as visible as mold, but it is still a serious problem that can cause various health issues. You can avoid this danger by reducing the moisture in your home, immediately cleaning up any spills or leaks, and dealing with mildew symptoms as soon as they appear. If you do discover mildew in your home, you should take precautions to protect yourself and your family both while cleaning up and after the problem has been resolved. Staying informed and acting when necessary will keep you and your loved ones safe.
If you are ready to stop the cycle of mildew and mold, reach out to Pure Maintenance of Texas. Our team will provide long-term solutions that keep your home fresh and safe for years to come.