Young shocked blonde woman in blue jeans and a shirt is squatting with cleansers near a wall with black mold and spreading her hands.

Mold can be a serious issue if it is not taken care of properly. If you have mold in your home, you may be wondering if you can take care of it yourself or if you need to hire a professional. The answer is that certain types can be remediated without the help of a professional and others require the assistance of an experienced specialist. According to the EPA, cleanup depends on a number of factors. Let’s take a closer look at when you should try DIY removal and when it is best to call a professional.

DIY Mold Removal

In some cases, removing mold on your own may be possible. For example, small amounts of non-toxic black or grey surface mold can often be cleaned with a mixture of detergent and water. Be sure to wear protective clothing such as gloves and a mask before attempting any type of DIY removal. It is also important to note that this method will only work for surface-level molds; it will not work for deeper, more embedded molds.

When To Call A Professional

In many cases, it is best to leave the job to an experienced professional. This is especially true for large areas affected by mold as well as any type of toxic or black mold. These types of molds are more difficult to remove and can even cause health problems if handled improperly. Additionally, professionals have access to the specialized equipment needed for deep cleaning and remediation, so they can often get the job done faster than someone without experience in this field would be able to do on their own.

Mold can spread quickly throughout your home if not taken care of properly, so it is essential to know when you should attempt DIY removal and when you should contact a professional for help. In general, small amounts of non-toxic surface molds are safe enough for DIY removal while more significant amounts or any type of toxic or black molds should always be left up to an experienced professional with access to specialized equipment and expertise in this area. Ultimately, promptly taking care of your home’s mold problem will save you time and money in the long run! ​

Contact us today to learn more!

%d bloggers like this: