Mold is a fungus that can grow in damp and humid areas. Some types of mold can produce toxins that cause health problems. In addition, exposure can lead to various symptoms, depending on how sensitive you are to mold and the amount present. We’ll talk about the symptoms of mold sickness, including FAQs, so you can better understand the risks associated with mold exposure.
Symptoms of Mold Sickness
If exposed to mold, one of the most common symptoms you might experience is respiratory problems. Breathing in spores can irritate your airways, causing inflammation and leading to coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. This can lead to asthma and bronchitis.
Mold can also cause allergic reactions in some people. For example, you might encounter sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and skin rashes. You might also feel headaches, fatigue, and a general sense of feeling unwell if you’re allergic to mold.
In some cases, mold exposure can cause neurological symptoms. If exposed to mold for long periods, you might experience memory loss, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. You might even experience mood swings and depression.
Mold exposure can also lead to digestive issues. As a result, you might experience symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms can be especially severe if you have pre-existing gastrointestinal conditions.
Mold can cause skin irritation in some individuals. You might experience symptoms such as rashes, hives, and itchiness. In severe cases, mold exposure can even lead to skin infections.
How does mold exposure occur?
You can expose yourself to mold in a variety of ways. For example, you might breathe in mold spores, touch moldy surfaces, or consume contaminated food or water.
What are the long-term effects of mold exposure?
Exposure to mold for an extended period can lead to chronic health problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and other respiratory illnesses. It can also cause neurological symptoms such as memory loss and mood swings. Additionally, long-term exposure can weaken the immune system, making you more susceptible to other infections.
How can I reduce my risk of mold exposure?
Keep your home or workplace dry and well-ventilated to reduce mold exposure risk. If you notice leaks or moisture problems, fix them immediately and clean up any mold as soon as it appears. You can also use an air purifier with a HEPA filter to remove mold spores and wear protective gear.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides information on the health effects of mold exposure, including symptoms and treatment.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guides how to prevent and clean up mold in homes and other buildings.
The American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (ACOEM) provides information on the health effects of mold exposure in the workplace and how to prevent it.
Mold exposure can cause various symptoms, including respiratory problems, allergic reactions, neurological symptoms, digestive issues, and skin irritation. If exposed to mold, seeking medical attention is essential. To reduce your risk of mold exposure, keep your home or workplace dry and well-ventilated, and clean up any mold as soon as it appears.
By following these steps, you can protect yourself and your loved ones from the potential health risks of mold exposure. Remember, if you suspect you have mold sickness, it’s essential to consult with your healthcare provider for appropriate treatment.
At Pure Maintenance of Texas, our team is prepared to help identify and remediate mold issues before they start. If you’re concerned about exposure or interested in learning how to prevent a problem from occurring, contact us today!